Storm Safety Tips

Power Outages/Down Power Lines

  • If you experience power outages or related issues, contact Duke Energy at (800) 228-8485.
  • Keep away from down power lines and notify Duke Energy.

Flood Water

  • Avoid driving through flood water, regardless of the size of your vehicle. 
  • Road surfaces become disguised and drivers can unknowingly steer into a deep body of water, such as a canal or pond.
  • Electricity from streetlights and power poles may be present in standing water, causing a deadly shock to anyone coming in contact with it. 
  • Avoid walking or driving through standing water or letting children play in standing water.
  • Those who come in contact with contaminated standing water can become sick or be bitten by snakes, floating insects or other wildlife. 
  • Individuals who come in contact with floodwaters should thoroughly wash and rinse any exposed body parts with soap and disinfected water.


  • Generators shall not be directly wired into an electrical panel unless it has been previously permitted and approved. 
  • Do not run your generator inside your garage, but pull your generator at least 20 feet away from your house in a well ventilated area.
  • Generator exhaust should be at least 20 feet away from the house.


Do not use a grill inside or within 10 feet from your home. 


  • Do not place candles near flammable materials.
  • Do not leave candles unattended.

Structure Damage

  • Turn off the circuit breakers to any area of the structure which is damaged. 
  • Safeguard valuables by moving items to areas that are not damaged.
  • Keep family away from damaged areas. 
  • Take pictures of your damage and flooding in order to assist with insurance claims.
  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to start your claim. 


  • Should you require a contractor, have the contractor provide you with their contractor license information and obtain a permit prior to starting of construction.
  • Check with DBPR’s (Department of Business Professional Regulation) website to insure that a contractor is properly licensed (
  • Insure your hired contractor obtains a permit prior to starting work.

Financial Assistance

  • Visit the FEMA website at to see if you qualify for financial assistance.
  • Keep receipts for all storm related expenditures. Some expenditures might be eligible for reimbursement. 

For additional information, call the City Information Line at (407) 571-8000. (This number is answered during business.)