Storm Safety Tips
Power Outages/Down Power Lines
- If you experience power outages or related issues, contact Duke Energy at (800) 228-8485.
- Keep away from down power lines and notify Duke Energy.
- Avoid driving through flood water, regardless of the size of your vehicle.
- Electricity from streetlights and power poles may be present in standing water, causing a deadly shock to anyone coming in contact with it.
- Avoid walking or driving through standing water or letting children play in standing water.
- Those who come in contact with contaminated standing water can become sick or be bitten by snakes, floating insects or other wildlife.
- Individuals who come in contact with floodwaters should thoroughly wash and rinse any exposed body parts with soap and disinfected water.
- Generators shall not be directly wired into an electrical panel unless it has been previously permitted and approved.
- Do not run your generator inside your garage, but pull your generator at least 20 feet away from your house in a well ventilated area.
- Generator exhaust should be at least 20 feet away from the house.
Do not use a grill inside or within 10 feet from your home.
- Do not place candles near flammable materials.
- Do not leave candles unattended.
- Turn off the circuit breakers to any area of the structure which is damaged.
- Safeguard valuables by moving items to areas that are not damaged.
- Keep family away from damaged areas.
- Take pictures of your damage and flooding in order to assist with insurance claims.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to start your claim.
- Should you require a contractor, have the contractor provide you with their contractor license information and obtain a permit prior to starting of construction.
- Check with DBPR’s (Department of Business Professional Regulation) website to insure that a contractor is properly licensed (www.MyFloridaLicense.com).
- Insure your hired contractor obtains a permit prior to starting work.
- Visit the FEMA website at www.FEMA.gov to see if you qualify for financial assistance.
- Keep receipts for all storm related expenditures. Some expenditures might be eligible for reimbursement.
For additional information, call the City Information Line at (407) 571-8000. (This number is answered during business.)