Waste Collection FAQs

How many trash carts can I place curbside for collection?

Residences are limited to two City-approved refuse containers per collection day, per household. Residents can use any combination of City supplied cart(s), your own personal cart(s) of less than 64-gallons equipped with a manufacturer installed lift bar and wheels or bear-resistant containers less than 64-gallons and equipped with a manufacturer installed lift bar.

Can I use a bear-resistant container instead?

Yes. The City will continue to allow bear-resistant containers that meet Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) standards. Bear-resistant containers should be a fully enclosed residential refuse container with a reinforced lid that has a latch mechanism preventing bear access to the contents in accordance with Seminole County’s Urban Bear Management Ordinance. The ordinance requires that residents place trash containers out for collection after 5 a.m. on their scheduled collection day. After pick up, containers must be removed and secured as soon as possible, but no later than 7 p.m. There are two options for compliance.

  • Option #1—Use a Bear-Resistant Container: If you store your refuse outside on non-collection days and/or must put them out before 5 a.m. on your scheduled collection day, you ARE required to use a bear-resistant container.
  • Option #2—Keep Your Trash Containers Secure: If you are able to secure your garbage in a shed, garage or enclosed structure on non-collection days and do not place containers curbside before 5 a.m., you DO NOT need a bear-resistant container.

Note: Recyclable materials stored outside on non-collection days and/or placed out on your scheduled pick up day must be free of food residue and materials that could attract bears.

Can I use a container other than the City-supplied refuse cart?

Yes, you may use your own garbage container as long as it is 64-gallons or less and equipped with a manufacturer-installed lift bar and wheels compatible with a semi-automated collection system.

If you prefer to use another cart, the City will pick up the City-supplied cart from your residence. Please call (407) 571-8607 to schedule an appointment.

If I move to a new location in Altamonte Springs, do I take my refuse cart with me?

No. The carts have serial numbers that are assigned to each physical residence.