Waste Collection Upgrade
The City of Altamonte Springs is switching to a new semi-automatic waste collection system. We are shifting from complete manual pickup, which uses the strength of our employees to lift garbage cans, to a semi-automated service. This new system uses cart tippers, eliminating the need for heavy lifting. Our new trucks require that trash carts (i.e., bins, cans, etc.) have a front-side lift bar with wheels which allows the tippers to grab the cart.
What You Need to Know
- The City is providing all residences with a free 64-gallon refuse cart (large garbage can with wheels) that work with the new system. These carts can hold up to five 13-gallon trash bags! There will be NO changes to the regular collection schedule.
- City personnel will deliver carts in April and May 2021 with no delay in collection services.
- The new refuse carts come stamped with the City logo and a serial number assigned to each residence therefore residents do not need to be home for delivery.
- If you do not need the larger cart, you can use an existing smaller container as long as it has a manufacturer installed lift bar and wheels. Call (407) 571-8607 to schedule pick up for the large City-provided cart.
Trash Collection Guidelines
- Carts cannot be used for yard waste or recycling to prevent mixing with refuse or household garbage. Mixed wastes are not collected.
- A maximum of two carts/containers will be collected each collection day. Carts cannot exceed 64-gallons and must be equipped with wheels and a lift bar compatible with cart tippers.
- All items must be placed inside carts with the lid closed for collection.
Carts must be placed curbside before 7 a.m. on collection day. Residents must remove containers no later than 7 p.m. on collection day.
Carts must not obstruct drainage or walkways.
- The City will continue to collect bear-resistant containers that meet Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) standards. The Urban Bear Management Area requirements remain the same. For ordinance and boundary area information, visit www.BearAwareSeminole.com.