Storm FAQs

Will the City continue to collect debris?

The City will collect storm and bulk vegetative debris through Friday, November 18. Smaller items such as leaves, plants, twigs, etc. must be bagged, bundled or in a container.

Will Altamonte Springs remove storm debris from commercial properties?

No. Collection crews will only remove storm debris from residential refuse customers. Commercial properties will need to contact their private hauler to arrange for debris removal.

Are City parks still closed?


  • Eastmonte, Merrill, Lake Lotus, Westmonte, Hermits Trail, Turnbull and Sunshine parks will reopen on Saturday, November 12. All park amenities are available. All scheduled programming such as baseball, basketball, softball, flag football, cheerleading and the outdoor pool will resume.
  • Cranes Roost Park opens Saturday, November 12. (Amphitheater is closed.)


  • Lake Lotus Park and the Lake Orienta boat ramp remain closed.

Is boating prohibited on Lake Orienta?

Pursuant to City Ordinance 9-33, all boating on Lake Orienta is prohibited until the water returns to a safe level.

Why is there so much flood water affecting my neighborhood?

Significant elevations in the Little Wekiva River and other waterbodies in the City have caused historic flooding. The nature of the storm and the large amount of rainwater we received have led to several areas seeing severe flooding. Until river and lake water levels begin to recede, we will continue to see standing water in many of the low-lying areas in the City.

What do I do with my sandbags?

If your sandbags are dry, consider keeping them through the end of hurricane season (November 30).

Who do I call if I have no power?

Duke Energy is working to restore power to the City. If you experience down lines or related issues, contact Duke Energy at (800) 228-8485.

How do I get help with my individual damage needs?

Seminole County residents impacted by Hurricane Ian are now eligible for financial and direct services from FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP). You must first file a claim with your insurance company. If you do not have insurance, or if insurance does not cover losses caused by Hurricane Ian, you may apply for FEMA assistance at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. EST. Individuals who prefer to use a mobile device may use the FEMA mobile application.

Seminole County residents are strongly encouraged to report storm damage to property by completing the Damage Assessment form at These reports are critical for FEMA assistance and County officials.

Is individual and business assistance available?

Seminole County residents impacted by Hurricane Ian are now eligible for individual and business recovery assistance. Learn more by visiting the FEMA Assistance webpage.

What are the tree removal requirements?

For trees on single-family dwelling property that have fallen and need to be removed, no arbor permit is required. However, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure at least two, 2” caliper trees remain or are replaced on the single-family dwelling property.

For trees that are still standing on a single-family dwelling property and are determined by an ISA certified Arborist that the tree poses an unacceptable risk to persons or property, the tree may be removed without a permit issued by the City.

If a tree is still standing but appears to be dead or dying and an ISA certified Arborist has not certified the tree for removal, a homeowner can complete an arbor permit application and submit it to the City of Altamonte Springs Building and Fire Safety Department located at City Hall. There is no fee for this permit. As part of the requirements of the arbor permit, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure at least two, 2” caliper trees remain or are replaced on the single-family dwelling property.

Download the Residential Arbor Permit Application

Last updated 11/14/2022 at 4:42 p.m.